Justia Lawyer Rating
10 Best, Attorney Client Satisfaction Badge from the American Institute of Criminal Law Attorneys
Top 100 Trial Lawyers Badge from The National Trial Lawyers
Top 100 Badge from America's Top 100 Criminal Defense Attorneys
Avoo Rating, 10.0 Scott Grabel
Top 10, Attorney and Practice Magazine's, Criminal Defense Law Firm

Appeals and Post-Conviction Services in a Michigan Sex Crime Case

If you have been convicted of CSC or another sex crime, it is often a good idea to consider utilizing your right to appeal, which could potentially lead to a better result. It is extremely difficult to successfully appeal any serious sex crime conviction, though that doesn’t mean it cannot be done, especially if you are able to secure excellent post-conviction representation. There are a number of reasons why you may want to appeal, and many different details of your case could help you obtain a successful appeal. Always work with the best lawyer you can and fight until you have either exhausted all your resources or achieved your desired case outcome.

In addition to appeals, there are a number of other post-conviction criminal motions that can be filed which could potentially help you obtain a better case result. If you didn’t get the result you wanted during the initial trial stage of your case, it may be time to work with a more experienced lawyer who has won CSC cases in the past. Contact Grabel & Associates now to find out more about how to continue your fight after conviction.

When Can You Appeal in a Sex Crime Case?

In any Criminal Sexual Conduct case, you begin the trial process with a right to appeal. Depending on how you plead, however, you may lose that right. It is critical to be aware of how entering a plea could affect your post-conviction case, and to have a lawyer guiding you to the result you want. Below are some possible pleas and subsequent results.

Guilty: If you plead guilty, you forfeit the right to appeal the verdict. In some cases, you may still be able to appeal a sentence, depending on the details of your case. The court must consent to this plea.

No Contest: Like a guilty plea, a nolo contendre plea forfeits your right to appeal. It may be possible to appeal your sentence, but the verdict of will stand. The court must also consent to this plea.

Failure to Enter a Plea: If you don’t enter a plea, the court will treat it as if you entered a guilty plea.

Not Guilty: If you deny the charges against you, and are still convicted in court, you retain your right to appeal the verdict and potentially the sentence.

Reasons for Post-Conviction Motions in a CSC Case

If you are to appeal your case or pursue other post-conviction relief, you need to find a reason why the initial outcome was unjust. Some potential reasons to file an appeal of a verdict or sentence include:

  • new evidence brought to the attention of defendant that couldn’t have reasonably been known earlier
  • jury bias, judicial bias, or misconduct
  • witness perjury (which could have affected case result)
  • judicial conflict of interest
  • ineffective legal representation
  • constitutional rights violation
  • plea entered without fully understanding consequences

In addition to appealing a decision, other post-conviction motions include:

  • motion for a new trial
  • motion for a directed verdict
  • motion for a Ginther hearing (ineffective legal counsel)

Appeal by Right vs. Appeal by Leave in a Michigan CSC Case

There are two distinct types of appeals in Michigan sex crime cases. The first is appeal by right, which does not require permission of a higher court. To file an appeal of right, you must request an appeal within 21 days of the judgment, or within 21 days of the order denying a motion for post-conviction relief.

If an appeal by right is not available, if a final order has yet to be entered, if a defendant entered a guilty plea and is appealing an issue other than the sentence, or if the 21 day period to file an appeal of right has passed, an appeal by application for leave has to be filed. For more about the rules governing appeals in Michigan, read this appellate practice journal issue, or visit the Michigan Court of Appeals website.

Contact Grabel & Associates Now for Appellate Representation in MI

To speak with an attorney about your post-conviction options, call 1-800-342-7896 or contact us online. We are available 24/7 for a free case consultation, and can immediately begin fighting to help you achieve an improved case outcome.

Client Reviews

If you are reading these reviews you are about to make a decision that will have a large impact on the rest of your life. I choose Grabel and Associates to represent me in my case and I could not have been more satisfied with the level of professionalism and dedication to their clients. I had the opportunity to meet and work with multiple lawyers in the practice all of which showcased a vast knowledge and understanding of the inner workings of the legal system. When you choose Scott Grabel to represent you will open yourself up to all of his resources. Depending on your case Grabel knows experts in all fields. I worked with polygraph examiners, investigators, and forensics experts. Grabel and Associates will defend without prejudice of innocence or guilt. Scott Grabel was able to lead me through every step of the process with great communication the whole way. I would recommend Scott Grabel and Associates to my friends, family and anyone who is in need of representation. B. A.
Best attorney in state of Michigan. Caring and a true friend. Scott was with us every step of the way. He fought for a great injustice for our son and was able to provide an outcome that gave his life back. L. A.
Scott and his firm did an awesome job representing a family member of mine, I would highly recommend him and his firm! They were extremely reliable, trustworthy and very informative and did a great job with the case. I couldn't be happier with the results that we received, I can't speak highly enough about the great job he did. If you are thinking about using his firm, I would highly recommend, I would definitely use his firm again if needed, he is an a great attorney with a great firm, you won't be disappointed! M. F.