What Issues are Raised in a Federal Criminal Appeal?

If you are unjustly convicted or sentenced, you may be able to appeal the decision to a higher court. On the federal level, cases can move from the District Court to a Court of Appeals, and if permitted, move up to the Supreme Court of the United States. Our licensed federal appeals attorneys can represent your best interests throughout the process and will make sure that everything possible is done to continue to fight for the best available result in your case. Many cases are decided on appeal, and while it is extremely difficult to win a case at the appellate level, with an experienced defense lawyer on your side, it is very possible. Contact the Michigan federal criminal appeals team at Grabel & Associates right now and learn more about the steps you can take to move past an unjust court result and to an improved case outcome.

There are numerous issues that you could raise in an appeal, but you want to be sure to select the most persuasive, and present your issues in the best possible way. Our appellate defenders have extensive experience writing appellate briefs, and we know how to create a compelling case after a criminal conviction. Whether you want to challenge the procedures involved in your federal case, evidence used by the prosecution, or the sentence the judge decided upon, the Grabel & Associates team is ready now to start working with you. Call our 24/7 toll free hotline at 1-800-342-7896 to learn more or contact our firm online for more information about our post-conviction services in federal cases.

Challenging Investigation and Pretrial Motions in a Federal Criminal Case

In most criminal cases, any issues that arose during investigation will be challenged during the initial trial. Still, there may be additional opportunities to look back on how the investigating agents and prosecution acted during the earlier stages of your case. If your rights were violated at any point and you can challenge the constitutionality of the actions of agents or the U.S. attorney, these issues can be raised again on appeal. An appeal is essentially a review of the lower court’s decision, not a new case, so if you believe you had a sound argument that the court wasn’t convinced by, it isn’t too late to get higher court to review that issue.

Challenging Evidence in a Federal Criminal Appeal in Michigan

You may also wish to raise issues specifically related to the evidence in your case. Perhaps the court did not allow you to use a particular witness, or did allow someone whose testimony you don’t believe was lawful. You may request that the appellate court review the evidence and how it was obtained, and perhaps have the case reviewed without that evidence included if successful. Our lawyers will walk you through your options and make sure you pick the post-conviction strategy that is best for your unique case.

Challenging a Federal Criminal Sentence Through Appeal

If you don’t think you can sway the court on your innocence, yet disagree with the sentence handed down in your case, you can choose to appeal that portion of the decision alone. Sentences are supposed to fit within federal guidelines, and if the judge strayed from those guidelines and similar preceding cases, you can challenge the sentence and seek a reduction or reconsideration. The Grabel & Associates team has experience in verdict and sentence appeals, and we will help you pursue an appeal by right or apply for an appeal if you no longer have the right to appeal. Act fast, as appeals are only available for a short time following an initial decision. Our team is available right now – don’t hesitate.

The team at Grabel & Associates understands that you are disappointed with your result and may feel hopeless after giving your all to the initial case. Don’t give up. With a qualified attorney on your side, an appeal could be successful, and you could regain your freedom. Our lawyers know what it takes to win, and will work with you and your individual situation to craft a post-conviction strategy tailored to your unique needs and case goals.

Contact Grabel & Associates 24/7 for Federal Appeal Questions in MI

If you want to speak to a lawyer in Michigan about your federal appeal now, call 1-800-342-7896 and get a free initial consultation. If you are not near a phone, go to the contact page on this website right now and let our team set up a consultation at a time that works for you.

Federal Crimes Practice Areas

Contact Us