Justia Lawyer Rating
10 Best, Attorney Client Satisfaction Badge from the American Institute of Criminal Law Attorneys
Top 100 Trial Lawyers Badge from The National Trial Lawyers
Top 100 Badge from America's Top 100 Criminal Defense Attorneys
Avoo Rating, 10.0 Scott Grabel
Top 10, Attorney and Practice Magazine's, Criminal Defense Law Firm

Criminal Appeals for Federal Cases

If you or someone you love has received an unfavorable outcome in the United States District Court, you should know this does not have to be the end of your legal battle. A skilled federal appeals attorney can guide you through the steps of appealing the outcome, giving you another shot at justice. If your case was lost at trial, certain parts may be reviewed by the United States Court of Appeals, potentially resulting in a lessened sentence or, in some cases, an overturned verdict. Don’t settle for an unfair outcome—Reach out to Michigan’s premier federal criminal defense firm today.

If you’ve lost your initial court battle and want another chance to achieve the best available result, contact Grabel & Associates now. Our talented staff knows what it takes to win in federal criminal appeals and we are dedicated to protecting your wellbeing. We will do everything in our power to uphold your legal rights and protect you from wrongful conviction or excessively harsh punishments. Contact us today to learn more about how we can help you appeal your federal criminal case.

Understanding the Federal Court System

The federal court system is composed of three main levels: district courts, circuit courts, and the Supreme Court. Your federal criminal case will first be heard in a United States District Court. There are 94 district courts that handle criminal cases. If you receive a negative outcome and choose to pursue an appeal, your case will be passed along to a circuit court. If either party is still unsatisfied with the result, a “writ of certiorari” may be filed, asking the Supreme Court to hear the case. If the writ is not granted, the Circuit Court’s decision will stand.

How to Appeal in Federal Court

If you believe your federal case was decided unjustly, you may want to appeal the court’s decision. The first step is filing a notice of appeal with the clerk of the district court. You have 30 days to file for civil cases and 10 days to file for federal criminal cases. Your attorney will provide a proof of service of the notice of appeal to the opposing side and wait for the clerk of the district court to approve the notice and forward it to the clerk for the court of appeals. A docketing notice will be issued, setting dates for hearings or briefing deadlines for the appeal.

Your appeal will most likely be made in the Circuit Court of Appeals that has jurisdiction over your state. Michigan is in the sixth circuit, so appeals are handled by the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit. If you’re involved in a specialized case, your appeal may be made to a different court. Your attorney will review the unique details of your case and help you understand the complexities that surround it. Having an experience lawyer on your side provides you with invaluable insight that could potentially save you from a wrongful conviction or harsh penalties.

Our Post-conviction Services for Federal Criminal Appeals

At Grabel & Associates, we take your federal criminal case seriously and are committed to fighting for your freedom. We are willing to step in to your case at any stage, even after you’ve been convicted of a crime, and will immediately start working to develop a winning defense strategy. If you want to fight conviction and appeal your case to a higher court, a member of our team will stand by you and work tirelessly to determine the best approach. We believe that no one should suffer unjustly, and will do everything we can to help you win your federal criminal appeal.

Our proven results showcase our attention to every detail and skill in defending Michigan’s wrongfully accused. If you want to appeal a decision made in the United States District Court, you’ll need a top-tier lawyer from Grabel & Associates fighting for you. Contact us today to learn more about the options available in your case so you can get on track to taking charge of your future.

Contact Grabel & Associates for Help with Federal Criminal Appeals

A member of our team is available 24/7 to start working on your time sensitive case. Call 1-800-342-7896 now to secure the services of one of Michigan’s top defense firms, putting your one step closer to successfully appealing your case . You can also set up a free consultation through our online form.

Client Reviews

If you are reading these reviews you are about to make a decision that will have a large impact on the rest of your life. I choose Grabel and Associates to represent me in my case and I could not have been more satisfied with the level of professionalism and dedication to their clients. I had the opportunity to meet and work with multiple lawyers in the practice all of which showcased a vast knowledge and understanding of the inner workings of the legal system. When you choose Scott Grabel to represent you will open yourself up to all of his resources. Depending on your case Grabel knows experts in all fields. I worked with polygraph examiners, investigators, and forensics experts. Grabel and Associates will defend without prejudice of innocence or guilt. Scott Grabel was able to lead me through every step of the process with great communication the whole way. I would recommend Scott Grabel and Associates to my friends, family and anyone who is in need of representation. B. A.
Best attorney in state of Michigan. Caring and a true friend. Scott was with us every step of the way. He fought for a great injustice for our son and was able to provide an outcome that gave his life back. L. A.
Scott and his firm did an awesome job representing a family member of mine, I would highly recommend him and his firm! They were extremely reliable, trustworthy and very informative and did a great job with the case. I couldn't be happier with the results that we received, I can't speak highly enough about the great job he did. If you are thinking about using his firm, I would highly recommend, I would definitely use his firm again if needed, he is an a great attorney with a great firm, you won't be disappointed! M. F.