Alcona County Property Theft Crimes Defense
Serving all of Alcona County including Barton City, Black River, Curran, Glennie, Greenbush, Harrisville, Hubbard Lake, Lincoln, Mikado, and Spruce, Michigan.
When it comes to theft crimes, particularly burglary, the crime index in Alcona County, Michigan, is well above the national average. Property crimes may not seem as serious as crimes against a person, but sometimes property crimes escalate and involve threats, violence, or force (i.e., armed robbery or home invasion) making the charges and criminal penalties considerably harsher.
It is for this very reason that Alcona County prosecutors take all theft crimes seriously, even shoplifting and burglary, and aggressively seek to convict and punish those accused of any type of property crime.
If you have been arrested or charged with crime, you need to take the first step in building a strong legal defense against an aggressive prosecutor by hiring an aggressive and experienced criminal defense attorney.
Hire Our Law Firm and Get 100 Years of Legal Experience On Your Side
At the criminal defense law firm of Grabel & Associates, our legal team has more than 100 years of combined legal experience defending people accused of all types of criminal felony and misdemeanor charges in Michigan.
We know that frequently, law enforcement officials make major errors in an arrest such as unlawfully detaining an individual, failing to provide access to an attorney when requested, and not advising citizens of their constitutional rights. Our ability to recognize errors in the arrest process can often serve to reduce or eliminate pending charges.
We understand the impact an arrest or conviction will have on your life, including having a criminal record even if you are not charged or do not serve any time in jail. Our criminal defense lawyers will aggressively work to get charges against you reduced or dismissed in all criminal matters, including:
- Armed Robbery, Burglary, Home Invasion and Larceny
- Credit Card Theft and Check Forgery
- Fraud, Embezzlement and White Collar Crimes
- Misdemeanor Theft and Shoplifting (Retail Fraud)
- Motor Vehicle Theft and Joyriding
Penalties for Being Convicted of Retail Fraud (Shoplifting)
Stealing a small item from a store may not seem like a big deal, but it is big in the eyes of the law. In Michigan, shoplifting is charged as "Retail Fraud" in three degrees, and all can land you in jail:
- First Degree Retail Fraud is a felony crime and if you are convicted you can be sentenced to up to five years in prison, will be subject to paying a fine of $10,000 or three times the value of merchandise taken, whichever is greater. If the value of merchandise you stole is greater than $1,000, or you have a prior conviction of retail fraud, you could be charged with a felony crime.
- Second Degree Retail Fraud is a misdemeanor crime. If the value of merchandise you stole is between $200 and $1,000, or if you have a prior third degree conviction for retail fraud you can be sentenced to one year in jail and/or a $2,000 fine, or three times the value of the stolen merchandise, whichever is greater.
- Third Degree Retail Fraud is also misdemeanor crime, but still carries serious penalties. If the value of the merchandise stolen is under $200 you can be sentenced to 93 days in jail and/or be required to pay a $500 fine, or three times the value of the stolen merchandise, whichever is greater.
Theft Crime Statistics in Alcona County, Michigan
On a scale of one to ten, with ten being the highest crime areas, the average rate of theft crimes in the United States is four. Overall, Alcona County is on the low end with a property crime rate of only two; however, when it comes to burglary, the number of people arrested each year is well above the national average, and the state of Michigan average.
Alcona County, Michigan, Property and Theft Crime Rate Index
Crime Risk Index (100 = National Average): Index score for an area is compared to the national average of 100. A score of 200 indicates twice the national average total crime risk, while 50 indicates half the national risk.Source: http://www.clrsearch.com
Alcona County, Michigan, Burglary, Property Theft and Shoplifting Crimes Criminal Defense Attorneys
Our criminal defense law firm devotes its practice exclusively to defending those accused of criminal offenses in Michigan, including theft crimes like burglary, retail theft, and other charges involving stolen property.
Our attorneys are experience trial lawyers and appellate attorneys who represent clients in Michigan, including in the Alcona County court system. We have the experience you need and have already successfully helped people charged with criminal offenses countywide, including in Harrisville, Lincoln, Alcona, Backus Beach, and Wallace.
At Grabel & Associates, our attorneys know the law, and understand the need for aggressive advocacy to protect our clients' rights and their futures.
If you or a loved one has been charged in Alcona County with retail fraud, theft or some other property crime, contact our criminal defense lawyers today for a free legal consultation.
The more you know about us, the more you begin to understand how our attorneys can make a real difference in the outcome of your case.
Alcona County Criminal Justice System Information
Alcona County Courthouse23rdCircuit Court
106 Fifth Street
Harrisville, MI 48740
Phone: (989) 724-9500
Directions to the Alcona County Court House
Alcona County Jail214 W Main Street
Harrisville, MI 48740
Phone: (989) 724-9570
Alcona County Jail Website
Alcona County Sheriff's Office214 W Main Street
Harrisville, MI 48740
Phone: (989) 724-6271
Alcona County Sheriff's Office Website