Cost of a DUI in Ann Arbor
While most people realize that an OWI charge could lead to fines and the cost of a defense attorney, many fail to recognize the severity of the costs associated with a drunk driving charge, and there are many costs associated with a DUI charge and conviction that many people never even consider. By contacting an experienced Ann Arbor DUI defense lawyer as soon as possible after a criminal allegation, you can ensure you are fully informed of every potential legal issue and cost consideration that will arise throughout your case, and will be fully prepared to fight back against excessive fees and avoidable fines.
DUI Lawyer Fees, Drunk Driving Conviction Fines, and Responsibility Fees
There are numerous potential costs involved after a drunk driving charge or conviction, which can include:
- DUI Defense Lawyer Fees
- Court Costs
- Fines Included in OWI Sentence
- License Reinstatement Fees
- DUI Class Fees
- Emotional Costs
- Lost Time
- Potential Loss of Work
Grabel & Associates is available 24/7 to begin fighting for your rights and freedom, and we want to protect our clients from the life changing financial and emotional costs of a drunk driving conviction in Ann Arbor. Contact our experienced team now and benefit from a law firm with over a decade of experience working in the Michigan criminal system, dealing with the same courts and judges that you will face in your case.
Costs in a Drunk Driving Case in Ann Arbor, MI
Some of the initial costs you can face include bail, vehicle impound fees, and the cost of hiring an attorney. Bail costs can range from a few hundred dollars to as much as $5,000, though you can get this money back if you are able to show up for court appointments on time. An attorney can assist you in keeping on schedule throughout your case and ensuring you get your bail money back as soon as possible.
Vehicle impound fees are usually in the range of $100 to $200 in Michigan, though if you are a repeat offender you may be at risk of more serious vehicle sanctions. You may also have to pay a separate fee for towing your vehicle.
Drunk Driving Defense Attorney in Lansing
In addition to these fees, you will need to pay to hire an attorney as soon as possible. Though it may seem like a financial strain to hire an experienced lawyer, it is one of the smartest investments someone can make if they truly choose the best lawyer available. The potential costs you could face if convicted are extreme, and only with a top level attorney can you ensure you avoid all unnecessary costs and concerns. Attorney costs vary widely, and on average it will cost between $1,000 and $10,000 for drunk driving representation. If you just want to enter a guilty plea, the cost is much lower than if you are willing to fight conviction.
Financial Burden After an OWI Conviction
Costs following a DUI conviction can include:
- Court-ordered DUI classes and counseling, estimated $50 per class and $200 in counseling fees.
- Driver’s license restoration fees, approximately $500, plus a $10 fee for a new license if appealing a suspension, or an additional $50 for a hearing and the costs of a driver’s license restoration lawyer.
- DUI sentence fines – anywhere from a few hundred dollars to thousands depending on your criminal history.
- High-risk insurance – usually up to $1,500 extra per year.
- IID installation, up to $200 plus a $100 monthly rental fee.
Other costs can add up, especially if your drunk driving caused property damage, injury, or death. Contact our lawyers now to avoid wrongful conviction or excessive penalties after a drunk driving accusation.
Emotional and Time Costs of an OWI in Michigan
The emotional stresses and time considerations you can face may include:
- Damage to your reputation, especially if convicted and given a criminal record.
- Stress, resulting from the legal battle you face and potential of jail time and fines.
- Time lost, responsibility to get to numerous court appointments on time without a driver’s license.
- Potential job loss, especially if your work involves operating a motor vehicle.
- Difficulty finding a job or obtaining a loan.
Contact Grabel & Associates Now for 24/7 DUI Defense
To speak with founding attorney Scott Grabel or another member of our qualified team, call 1-800-342-7896 now or contact us online. We are always available to provide you with a free initial case consultation, and will do everything we can to help you avoid unnecessary costs in your Ann Arbor OWI case.