Southfield Retail Fraud/Shoplifting Attorney
Shoplifting, formally known as retail fraud, is a criminal offense that occurs when a person steals from a retail store or misrepresents the price of an item with intent to defraud. Adult and juvenile shoplifting charges in Southfield are both very serious, and anyone who has been accused of retail fraud in any degree should get in touch with a qualified defense lawyer as soon as possible. Our Southfield shoplifting defense lawyers know what it takes to win in tough misdemeanor and felony theft cases, and are committed to putting in the hard work necessary to get you the best possible result in your case. There are three degrees of retail fraud and which degree a person will face depends on the value of the goods allegedly stolen. As soon as you are accused of shoplifting begin working with a talented defense attorney who can protect you as investigators try to build a case against you. We know how to achieve case dismissals, favorable plea deals, reduced charges and sentences, and courtroom victories, and our proven results show what a difference our lawyers can make in tough Southfield theft cases. Contact our team now to start your battle to obtain a just case result.
Founding attorney Scott Grabel has dedicated his life’s work to protecting those who have been falsely accused of criminal offenses, and this includes retail fraud/shoplifting offenses. Under his direction, our team protects the rights and freedoms of clients statewide. Never speak to police about your case before you are able to get in touch with a member of our team, who can direct your next steps as you continue to fight for justice. A wrongful conviction could drastically alter your life, especially with potential jail time on the line. Fight back against harsh penalties with Grabel & Associates now, starting by contacting us for a free initial consultation.
First, Second, and Third Degree Retail Fraud in Southfield
What are the three degrees of retail fraud in Michigan? The three degrees of shoplifting in Southfield are outlined below:
1st Degree (Section 750.356c)
- A person alters, transfers, removes, conceals, replaces, or otherwise misrepresents the price of property with intent to pay less than the price of the property, when the resulting price difference is $1,000 or more.
- A person steals property offered for sale at $1,000 or more.
2nd Degree (Section 750.356d)
- A person misrepresents the price of an item with intent to pay less than full price with a resulting price difference of between $200 and $1,000.
- A person steals property offered for sale at between $200 and $1,000.
3rd Degree (Section 750.356d)
- A person misrepresents the price of an item with intent to pay less than full price for that item when the resulting price difference is under $200.
- A person steals an item or items offered for sale at under $200.
Keep in mind that shoplifting charges only result from theft while a retail store is open. If a store is closed, breaking and entering and larceny from a building charges could result, or other serious criminal charges.
Criminal Penalties for Retail Fraud/Shoplifting in Southfield
The penalties for retail fraud are as follows:
- First degree retail fraud can lead to up to 5 years in prison and a fine of the greater of three times the value of the goods stolen (or of the misrepresented price difference) or $10,000.
- Second degree shoplifting can result in a year behind bars and a fine of either three times the value of goods stolen (or of the misrepresented price difference), or $2,000.
- Third degree shoplifting can lead to up to 93 days incarceration and a fine of the greater of $200 or three times the value of goods stolen or difference in price between full price and the misrepresented price.
Our Approach to Southfield Shoplifting Defense
Our lawyers know that you don’t want your future to be determined by a false allegation or simple mistake, and are ready now to begin fighting to protect you from the damage a shoplifting charge and potential conviction can cause. First degree retail fraud is a felony, and while second and third degree shoplifting are both misdemeanor charges, all shoplifting cases are serious. Work with the best so that you can achieve the best possible results. Grabel & Associates is available now.
Contact Grabel & Associates for 24/7 Retail Fraud Defense in Southfield
To obtain free initial legal guidance, call 1-800-342-7896 or contact our firm online. We are always ready to begin fighting for clients who have been accused of retail fraud in Southfield and statewide.
If you are reading these reviews you are about to make a decision that will have a large impact on the rest of your life. I choose Grabel and Associates to represent me in my case and I could not have been more satisfied with the level of professionalism and dedication to their clients. I had the opportunity to meet and work with multiple lawyers in the practice all of which showcased a vast knowledge and understanding of the inner workings of the legal system. When you choose Scott Grabel to represent you will open yourself up to all of his resources. Depending on your case Grabel knows experts in all fields. I worked with polygraph examiners, investigators, and forensics experts. Grabel and Associates will defend without prejudice of innocence or guilt. Scott Grabel was able to lead me through every step of the process with great communication the whole way. I would recommend Scott Grabel and Associates to my friends, family and anyone who is in need of representation.
Best attorney in state of Michigan. Caring and a true friend. Scott was with us every step of the way. He fought for a great injustice for our son and was able to provide an outcome that gave his life back.
Scott and his firm did an awesome job representing a family member of mine, I would highly recommend him and his firm! They were extremely reliable, trustworthy and very informative and did a great job with the case. I couldn't be happier with the results that we received, I can't speak highly enough about the great job he did. If you are thinking about using his firm, I would highly recommend, I would definitely use his firm again if needed, he is an a great attorney with a great firm, you won't be disappointed!