Best Advice for Preparing for a CPS Investigation
If the CPS is investigating you or a loved one for child abuse or neglect, you’ll need the help of a skilled defense attorney to prove your innocence and retain custody of your child. CPS officers take every claim they receive very seriously. They will be required to assume you are guilty and to do everything in their power to uncover the truth. Even if the accusations seem absurd to you, you need to aggressively fight back. You can’t assume that that the officer will eventually realize your innocence and back down. The first thing you should do in any case involving CPS is call a defense attorney. Your lawyer will walk alongside you throughout every step of your case and provide you with insight that will enable you to make the right decisions for you and your family.
The team at Grabel & Associates has over 15 years of experience defending Michigan’s wrongfully accused and is ready to put their knowledge to work for you. If you’re facing child abuse or neglect accusations, give us a call right now. A member of our team is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week to provide you with a free initial case consultation and get you on track to receiving a favorable outcome. The more time we have to work on your case, the more solid your defense will be. Don’t waste another minute. Pick up the phone and dial 1-800-342-7896 today.
Working With an Attorney to Combat Child Abuse and Neglect Charges
As soon as you are informed that you are under investigation for child abuse, you need to contact a defense attorney that has experience handling cases involving CPS. He or she will provide guidance as you navigate the early stages of your case. Your initial interactions with CPS will play a huge part in determining the outcome, so it’s important to get it right the first time. Here are a few tips to consider when preparing for a CPS investigation:
- Take the accusations seriously. CPS will approach your case assuming you are guilty, regardless of how absurd the accusations sounds to you. Do yourself a favor and start building your defense as soon as possible.
- Make sure the CPS officer gives you a detailed account of the accusations and charges you’re up against. You are entitled to this information, and it will be a huge help to your attorney as he or she prepares your defense.
- Don’t speak with CPS officers before you’ve connected with an attorney. CPS officers may misunderstand what you say or use it against you to prove your guilt. You can be courteous and polite, but the less you say about your case, the better off you will be.
- Don’t let CPS officers into your home without a warrant or court order. You are not legally obligated to let anyone into your home. An officer may try to trick you into letting him or her in, but always remember your legal rights.
- Have your child checked out by a doctor you trust. Getting a clean bill of health from your child’s doctor is a good way to demonstrate your innocence. Never take your child to a doctor recommended by CPS for his or her examination.
- Make sure the CPS officer tapes any interaction he or she has with your child. Your lawyer will need this information to build a strong defense. You have a right to the information your child provides to CPS, and having it on tape ensures your child’s words are not twisted.
- Create a list of individuals that are willing to care for your children. Your child of children may be taken away from your home during the course of the investigation. If you have a list of relatives or friends that are able to care for them, they’ll be much better off than if they are forced to stay with strangers.
- Never admit guilt. No matter what kind of bargain CPS officers make with you, never say that are you guilty of any degree of child abuse or neglect. CPS will use the little information you give them and turn it into something much bigger. Always consult with your lawyer before speaking with CPS.
Contact Us for 24/7 Criminal Defense in Michigan
If you need help proving that you did not abuse or neglect your children, call the team at Grabel & Associates. We are available to your 24/7 to start reviewing the details of your case and building a solid defense. The sooner you reach out to us, the more we can do to uphold your legal rights and clear your name. Contact us online right now for more information about how we can help you.